Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sewing Days

I see I have been a slacker again...we are well into September, and I last posted about school starting. Where did the time go?
I have been busy, though. As usual. My husband gets so mad at me because I won't ever sit down and watch TV or just shoot the breeze with him...unless I'm stuffing patterns or sewing while I watch...or doing some other sort of productive activity while I'm doing it. Any of you have that problem??

Well the other day I got a wild hair and decided to make a quilt from some of my Spirit fabric. I knew which pattern I wanted to make...it was one of Abbey Lane's patterns they designed for my "Santorini" collection. It's called "Sweet Caroline".

Here is the one they made for me below in "Santorini".




They let me put it up in my booth that spring at market, and it was so pretty there hanging up on the wall... poor Janice had to practically tackle me and rip it out of my hands when market was over and it was time to give it back to them. I really wanted to keep it:(

There it is on the right. Kind of hard to see.

Look at these other great quilts they designed using my fabric collections:
Honey Pie using my "Eden" collection. Love this. It was in my booth in Houston last fall.




Long Tall Sally using my "Santorini" collection, was also in my booth in Portland with the first quilt.

There is Stella...sporting her pink funky hairdo:) But anyway, the quilt.

I always love Abbey Lane's designs...and especially the 3-D nature of many of the quilts.

So anyway...I decided I wanted to make one for my bedroom...since it would match perfectly in the orange, green, blue, brown and yellow colorways. It was a brave move...because I was really supposed to be working on writing up my new bag patterns, and drawing up illustrations, all of which takes me hours and hours to do for each pattern. (More hours than I care to admit!)
AND then, as I began cutting, my husband gave me one of those
looks. (DREADFUL) It's the look he gives me when he can see I am getting totally and completely engrossed in a creative project which clearly does not involve him, or sitting on the sofa with him to watch a show and snuggle.


So here is the top. It is done. I need to go get it quilted, of course, which involves the boring part of piecing the back and cutting the batting. That's the part I hate. BUT it is necessary to have that awesome cuddly cozy end result.

What do you think?

Big, Bold, graphic. Definitely NOT for the faint of heart:)

I absolutely love the use of white to make the colors pop. I also like the use of the jellyroll strips, which helps it work up fast, and I really love the curves in the petals.
I have since designed something of my own using curves...but in a different way. I'll keep you posted on that.

There is also another little JEWEL I have been working on...that I will save and show you when I have more to show.

So that's one of the reasons why I haven't posted for a while. BUSY BUSY BUSY. I do love being busy. But I will indeed have to follow through on that promise to cuddle I made to my husband. Guess I'll have to pencil it in my schedule for now:) JK

Lila

14 comments:

Jennwith4 said...

It's lovely! And I have my own honey problems while crafting. My guy doesn't like it when I do some hand sewing or crocheting during family road trips or tv time. :)

tellad said...

So glad to see this made up - I have just completed the cutting of all the pieces of the "Sweet Caroline" pattern for my grandson's girlfriend for him to give her for Christmas as her name is "Caroline" - they are both seniors in high school and she will have it to take to college with her - he loved the idea! Can't wait now to get started making the top next week! Teri Dingler

Dianne said...

that is so cute! i agree...love the way that white makes fabric pop!

Strictly Sewing said...

BEAUTIFUL!! I love the colors so much. I think this fabric was meant for this project.

a little bit biased said...

Beautiful projects. I love the Long Tall Sally quilt pattern. Of course your fabrics are fabulous in all of them.

Melissa Stramel said...

What a pretty quilt. Your new line is gorgeous. Still looks like you, but I bet Riley Blake lets you be more creative. I'm sure I'll be buying some . . .

Janice and Marcea said...

The quilt looks great in those fabrics. We love to see all the different combinations people use. Thanks for sharing it with us. We look forward to designing some new projects with your new line from Riley Blake.

The Zeediks said...

I love it!!!

Chelsea said...

You made that so fast! Weren't you just cutting out the pieces last week when We were talking on the phone?

Crazy girl! I love it! I want one!

CHelsea

taylor kate said...

your santorini line is one of my absolute favorites of any designer out there; however, i really prefer this particular pattern in your new spirit line. the colors look GREAT! :D

mandbrid said...

Gorgeous!!!

Emilie and Branden said...

Oh Lila, I'm cracking up at your post about having to retrain your body to work during daylight hours! That is a constant problem in our house! We are on a rock 'n roll schedule but the kids are not :) School is KILLIN' ME!! BTW, I need to learn to make that gorgeous funked out peasant blouse. Do you think I could do it? Hope to see you soon! Miss you.

Linda said...

I completely understand! Multi-tasking usually does not include TV time or snuggling, not when there are tempting fabrics that need to be sewn! Now listening to an audiobook while piecing... that's do-able.

And about white fabric... Oh my! Since seeing many white background quilts while visiting quilters in Australia, I have returned home a changed quilter. Love, love, love how a white tone-on-tone makes a quilt zing! Just bought seven more yards of a funky, out-of-print Timeless Treasures bullseye print that will feature in several more new quilts. White is definitely the way to go.

Just started following your blog since falling for "Santorini." Wonderful stuff you great designer, you!

The Shanty Girl said...

I love "All your quilts" and I drool at the pictures of covered chairs, pillowcases, skirts. There is not one thing in your booth that is not absolutely georgous. Love the new quilt but would be hard pressed to pick a favorite they are all beautiful!!
Can't wait for your new line! And I wanted to say it is so exciting to see how my favorite designers use their own fabrics for items for themselves, very very inspiring!!