Sunday, August 22, 2010

"Is it really over" and other musings of a sleep-deprived mind

Yep...I looked at the calender, and sure enough, August is on the countdown to be out the door. (I really hate calendars.) School starts on Wednesday for us here.
Gone will be the endless parade of popsicled hands and zillions of friends, lemonade stands...toys and treats, sandals and shorts, suits and towels, chips and salsa, trips to the pool, summer movies and Happy meals, late night walks, barbequed chicken and video games.
How can the summer really be over? I never even got a pedicure!
Well...that's not completely true, because I gave myself one a few times in a desperate attempt to look cute in my flip-flops. But never a professional pedicure. NO TIME!...Not for pampering myself anyway. I guess it's OK. I haven't gotten arrested by the "gnarly feet" police yet, so I think I kept them under the radar:)

In other news...I got my Isabella strike-offs back from Riley Blake: PERFECT! What are strike-offs you ask? Well let me explain. (Even if you didn't ask and don't really care...) Strike-offs are the little samples that the factory prints out of each design in each colorway, (and sometimes in colorways you never thought of or ever intended) so that you can review them and make any corrections or changes you want them to make before they print up a whole boatload of fabric. It allows you to see what the fabric is going to look like so you can start getting really excited, or really sad, as the case may be. (I've experienced both)

Once I got some strike-offs that sent me crying into the bathroom for several hours, and then intermittently for days...maybe even weeks afterward. NOT FUN. (It all turned out OK in the end.)
But this time, things looked really good! In fact there were no changes made. NONE. That is practically unheard of! That is nothing short of miraculous! That, my friends, is my joyous experience so far with Riley Blake. Need I say more?

So I have begun to allow my mind to take off on a wild imaginative ride through all sorts of cerebral sewing extravaganzas...with a million creative ideas crashing together in my head. I can hardly finish imagining one thing before another one comes in and takes over the scene. It's exhilarating and frustrating all at once...because you begin to realize that you can't possibly make all of those things. Not without a time machine.

Anyhoo...Pictures :

I heard that some scientists successfully cloned a rat. I'm thinking that with a little convincing on my part, I could be next. Hmmmm.

Back to the mellow-drama about summer being over...the only thing I'm really worried about, (besides the homework woes and the endless complaints about this mean teacher or that horrible bully...) is that I'm actually going to have to get up at a normal hour in the morning, and cook breakfast and drive people around. Which also means that I have to get to bed at a normal hour. which means that I can't stay up till 4 am designing fabric or sewing patterns...which means I will have to be a normal human and work during the daylight hours...which means I have to completely retrain my body to do the opposite of what it wants to do!
It's really hard!!! A nocturnal creative like myself has to utilize an enormous amount of self control to live like others. It's not easy. It's not fun. But in the school year, it becomes necessary.

But really, I think it's OK that the summer is ending. Let's face it. My kids need some structure in their lives. I need them to have some structure. I actually really need them to be gone for a few hours each day...because I'm BEAT.
So I'm going to enjoy the last few days of insanity before the blissful quiet of an empty house lulls me into peaceful tranquility. Maybe I'll just sleep the first few days away. Maybe I'll just watch TV for once.
Perhaps I won't mind retraining my body to behave in a normal fashion. (At least for a while)

I guess there are some perks to the summer being over after all! Any other moms agree??

Have a good week...
Lila

29 comments:

kaiolohiakids said...

I'm in love with both the colors & designs of your new line! Can't wait!

Beverly @ FlamingoToes.com said...

I love the new line! Love!!
I'm right there with you on school. Mine went back today. Ack! I was up till one last night with those same thoughts running through my head. "I need to be sleeping - summer is over!" Oh well. I'll get used to it at some point.
On another note - I made a little wristlet with one of your earlier lines that I love. I'd been saving it up for something fun. If you have time (ha) you can check it out on my blog: http://www.flamingotoes.com/2010/08/end-of-summer-wristlet/
As I'm looking around, I'm realizing it looks a little like your Bohemian Bag - which I didn't intend at all! I should make that to go with it!
Sorry - super long comment. ;)

Jessica Levitt said...

Ha! I so easily could have written that post. I was just thinking, the other day, that a whole summer can't have passed without on pedicure. That's not possible...
And I haven't been to bed before 3am in weeks. Waking up before 8 will be a huge shock to my system! Luckily I still have 2 weeks til the kids start school.

CJ said...

The new fabrics are BEAUTIFUL!!

Karin said...

They are gorgeous!

QuiltyGirl said...

I need to get my sleep back on track, too! My daughter is only 3, so we have preschool a few mornings a week. But even for that I need to be up and going early! 2am is my favorite bedtime, I'm just so much more productive late at night...

Love the new line! Riley Blake seems like a great company-I just picked up one of their christmas lines a few weeks ago. Love it!

Aubrey said...

I am desperately grasping at the last of summer. Where did it go? (oh, right, I had company and then a baby!) my kids will be starting preschool, glad for them and a little structure but it's only for a couple of hours in the day. The fabrics are absolutely fabulous, love 'em!!

Marcia said...

I adore the blue, green, and brown fabrics - and how all of the fabrics mix and match in the collection. Wonderful.

Laurie said...

First - the fabric is delicous!! So pretty and I'm glad you didn't have to stay in the bathroom going through boxes of tissue this time!

About the end of the summer/Mama woes - I agree 100% with your post. My kiddos started today - along with my teacher husband. I've been alone all day - at first I was lonely - BUT now I'm enjoying it! I finally can catch up on emails and read blogs - now that the computer isn't taken over by the kids ;) I ran some errands and now I almost feel like taking a nap - I have a whole 2 hours until they get home. But, yes I agree about having to get up early and have a structured day - that is going to be hard to get used to!! Enjoy your free "personal" time - before you know it - it will be Mama time again!

Cyndi loves to stitch said...

Love your new fabrics, ALL the various color combos are terrific. So, I have a silly question. What do you do with your strike offs? Do you get to play and experiment with them, creating wonderful new things?
Or do you have to send them back?

Lila Tueller said...

Cyndi:
I get to keep these, because they already cut off the part they will send back. I could make a little skirt for Halle or Lola (grandbabies) or any number of little things.
Thinking...

Jandi said...

I love the new fabric! I can't wait to get my hands on some of it! My kids go back to school this Wednesday too. I hate to say it, but I will be pushing them out the door come Wednesday morning. I may feel sad later in the week, but Wednesday there's a party at my place. ha!

Cindy Farmer said...

I absolutely love your new line of fabric. I can't wait to get some!

poshfairies said...

Hi Lila
First your new fabric line is just devine, congrats on not having to make any changes, second I cant wait for summer to get over this part of the world so we can enjoy flip flops with pecdicured feet lol
Hugs Pina

Suzanne said...

I can see why you aren't changing a thing. Three really strong colorways! Love the dottie stripe and that ditzy flower print. Now the hard part for me will be which colorway to choose. Wonderful collection.

Mary Carole said...

Oh my...the new line is AMAZING...I mean SUPER DUPER AMAZING!! Great job and how cool that you didn't have to change a thing. I am really excited and can't wait to have my own pieces of the Isabella line!!!

As for having you best crafting idea @ 4 AM...you are not alone. I feel like I can't think clearly when the suns out but as soon as it goes down and the kids are tucked into bed my brain starts clicking! Go figure. Maybe it has something to do with the kids going to bed, too! :-)

Anywho, enjoy your days of TV watching and trying to be a "normal" person who sleeps and wakes at "normal" times!

Have a WONDERFUL Day!

~ MC

quiltmom said...

I love your new line Lila -
I have very mixed feelings about summer coming to a close. As a teacher, it means that it is time to work and have a different routine and schedule- I love the freedom of summer- I enjoy the challenges of fall- I am still enjoying the last days of summer. LOL
Regards, Anna

Lori said...

LOVE the new line. When will it be out?? Can't wait.

Jennifer said...

welcome to freespirit!!!! It will be great having you!!!! Best wishes, Jennifer

Grete said...

First things first: GOT to have your new fabrics for my shop! Just looking at them, I can think of a dozen different things to sew from them and my, will those fabric bolts look lovely on my shelves!!! :o) - When will they get here???

With respect to summer. What summer? It has been raining all of August here in Germany and I had to help my middle daughter prepare for an additional exam she had to take at the end of the summer holiday, since she chose to practcally sleep through 3 years (!) of French. Meaning - get up at 4 am, start working - then help her study French for 6 - 8 hours a day, then work again until 10 pm. Dang - I'm glad summer is over and school starts on Monday :o)

Grete

Yeah baby said...

l love them , they are beautiful.

Rebecca said...

HI!! Just wanted to say a "hello" and I love, love, love your new colorway/designs!! They are just too gorgeous and I think they're all great---usually I have a fav color story, but not this time---they're all home-run hits! Can't wait to buy this and sew :) Have a great day!!

Sherry Hicks said...

I love the new fabric line and cannot wait to use it!! I MOURNED the end of the summer! I love hanging out with my 6.5 year old! Shopping and antiquing is not the same without her......boohoo,

rderrett said...

Love the colours in the new fabric line and the increase in scale is wonderful. I'm happy that summer is over - the kids go back to school next week here. My creative time has been blighted by the family with a hoard of feral children running wild. Constantly having to retrieve footballs from my garden has been wearing and at least in the coming weeks, I can wean the dog off her Valium and she need not have a nervous breakdown till Xmas. She barks at every noise they make and they are noisy!

Barbara said...

Isabella is perfect in all colors!!
IF you need help using all of the beautiful fabric....I have a few ideas and a little time . My grandkiddos are back in school.
Really,I can't wait for Isabella to come out and play!!!
Enjoy your normal time

hungryhippie said...

As always, I love the new line...love your fabrics & patterns. I made The Stella Skirt, and blogged about it here:
http://1hungryhippie.blogspot.com/2010/08/sewing-clothes-stella-skirt.html

Cheers,
natalie

Chelsea said...

It's so pretty! I can't wait to get some :)

xoxo

Shellie said...

oh my YES!!!! Im tired and need a break. Break comes when kids return to school and I dont care what age they are it is all the same. My daughter is a senior waiting until December to get her license, new law of waiting 6mos is not good, so Im runninnnng her around still. I finally got a pedicure last week. There is no time for me. I would love to design fabric one day.... not sure how to get in that. And I love what you design - it is great!!! Im not a nocturnal creature though... we will make it.

:o) mg said...

Beautifully inspired! Congrats!