Wednesday, January 28, 2009

We're Expecting!

Don't worry...It's not me, (thank the good Lord above),
it's the birdies!
I don't think I ever told you that I was feeling sorry for Maya, (That's the name we chose, thanks Pink Lemonade Bags) that she was all alone in the world, and stuck in a cage with no chance of ever meeting her mate. So I sent the girls to the pet shop to buy her a husband! This is him...and he is quite handsome, I think.
Look at those rosy cheeks! And I love those zebra feathers too. They are Australian Zebra Finches, by the way. Kudos to all my new Australian friends!
So anyway...they've been getting to know each other for a couple if weeks now, which has been really fun to watch. At first Maya resented him for just showing up uninvited one day. But then she sort of warmed up to him.
But the nesting material I had provided her with had remained untouched until just a few days ago, when the male bird, as yet unnamed, began pulling out the white cotton threads from the box, and feverishly began preparing the nest.
And then, to all of our great astonishment, yesterday it happened!

Do you see what I see? How cute is that! I have to admit that at first I was pretty sure that Trent (my 24 year old) had put a jelly bean in the nest to trick us, because he has been teasing Troy (my 5 year old) for days about the scrambled egg breakfast we will have when the birds lay eggs.
But he promised us he absolutely did not put a fake egg in the nest...and I decided it was a little too real looking, so I googled all about finches, and eggs, and what to do now, and apparently this is only the beginning. She will probably lay several more eggs over the next few days. and then the eggs hatch in 12-14 days, and we'll have little baby finches! I can't wait...I mean I feel like a little kid at Christmas! it can't happen fast enough for me!

I'll keep you posted on all of the events, and you bird pros out there can give me lots of parental advise!

10 comments:

Maria said...

I'm pretty sure the first thing you should do is start sewing tiny little birdie quilts!

The P*dunc's said...

Have you thought about naming him Phineas?

cuteasabugdesign said...

Hi Lila,
I just wondered if you were aware of the CPSIA law passed banning fabrics being used for children's wear effective 2/10/09. The law was originally directed towards handmade toys and clothing to prevent lead poisoning, but it was so poorly written that designers using only fabric and thread are prohibited as well. Thousands of home based businesses and crafters nationwide have been researching and email congress members for months but the date is fast approaching without an appeal or revision in sight. This will definately affect fabric sales for all companies and I wondered if anyone at Moda is aware of this fact? Thanks so much and I hope to be able to continue to create beautiful things for my daughters with your fabrics without being arrested.:) Thanks!! Melissa Breden

Debra said...

How exciting!!! Can't wait to see little birdies pics.

RedefinedPossibilities said...

Hmm..since all my kiddos have flown the coop, maybe an investment in some cute little birdies will allow me to keep my nuturing skills sharp!

The Drizzled Apple said...

that is so dang cute! You will have lots of birdie poop to clean I think? haha.

No kitty cat's for you I think;)

congrats!

Dawn said...

Congratulations!! Looking forward to seeing the new little chicks!

Kate Brotherson said...

I went into the most amazing fabric store today....Graci Lou's. They had your fabric and lots of patterns. It was so great and the best thing about it was that they were almost completely sold out of it. She said they were just WAITING (in a good way) for the new line to come in. Congratulations, you are AWESOME!

Pink Lemonade Bags said...

I am all a flutter...no pun intended! I am glad you liked Maya too. And now there are going to be babies! How fun!

My thoughts on the male's name could be Don Juan (de Marco) since he obviously swept Miss Maya off her feet and look what happened. You could also call him Scott...my hubbys name. I was not supposed to be able to get pregnant, Jordan was a gift from God (with Scott's help :-)

My first shipment of Soiree should be here today! Can't wait to see it!

The Zeediks said...

I am DYING mom! OH MY GOSH! I hope they are born before you come here! I'm so nervous! I was feeling horrible for the little sweet bird too so I am soo glad you got her a mate! That is the cutest thing I've ever heard!